Ahhh....the sweet surrender of orgasm. While each woman experiences orgasm in her own way, most women enjoy a series of moments of "letting go" that leads to climax. Each successive stage of letting go requires a sense of emotional and physical safety that the research talks about.
A central part of feeling safe is feeling relaxed. Foot reflexology is all about relaxation. Your partner probably knows that a foot or back massage will help you relax and get in the mood -- it helps you connect to your sensuality and feel cared for. The feet have one of the highest concentrations of nerve endings in the body, so massaging them is both stimulating and relaxing.
Reflexology is a foot massage technique dating back thousands of years. The ancient Egyptians, Incas and the Chinese discovered that the feet contain pressure points that are linked to all areas and organs of the body. Massaging those pressure points on the foot can have immediate relaxing and beneficial results.
There are several techniques used in reflexology. Try rubbing the foot in a circular motion with your thumb, and "inching" the thumb or fingers up. Applying pressure and gently squeeze -- think of it like you're giving the foot a hug with your hands. Try a foot massage with your O'Sox on, for an extra textural, tactile experience.
Here's a simple foot massage to try with your partner or by yourself:
- On first foot, rub all over the toes with special attention to the big toe
- Rub the bottom of the foot with the thumb using a small circular or inching motion, going from the heel towards the toes in parallel lines.
- Rub the top of the top of the foot
- Rub the heel and ankle area (the part associate with the hips, reproductive and sexual organs)
- Shake your hands often to relax them and release tension
- Repeat steps on the other foot
Reflexology can help reduce stress because a relaxed foot can make you feel good all over. For more information about reflexology, and to find a certified practitioner in your area, visit: the Reflexology Association of America.